Hmmm - I will try that. My machine isn't exactly the most powerful piece of
equipment ever created... But all I am running is Eclipse and the emulator
(And, of course, the JDK that underlies Eclipse). And it was working quite
nicely before this...

I suspect it might be a corrupted data file, but it seems odd to me that it
would cause the emulator to hang up like it does - it seems it ought to be
one of those "It works or it doesn't" rather than "It works but not
completely" things...