Mark,

Here is what we see in the logs

W/dalvikvm(  705): VFY: unable to find class referenced in signature
(Lcom/google/common/DataRequestDispatcher;)

E/dalvikvm(  705): Could not find method
com.google.common.DataRequestDispatcher.getInstance, referenced from
method com.google.android.maps.MapActivity.createMap

W/dalvikvm(  705): VFY: unable to resolve static method 932: Lcom/
google/common/DataRequestDispatcher;.getInstance ()Lcom/google/common/
DataRequestDispatcher;

W/dalvikvm(  705): VFY:  rejecting opcode 0x71 at 0x0000

W/dalvikvm(  705): VFY:  rejected Lcom/google/android/maps/
MapActivity;.createMap ()V

BTW: This runs just fine in the emulator with 1.5 R2, but not on the
device.

Thanks!