Oh yeah Asterisk. I spent a few hours last year to build Asterisk for
ARM. On a Nokia N810, which runs proper Linux (Maemo), it ran right
out of the box, without any compromise. I am sure you can figure
what's on my holiday wish list. It'll be interesting to see how that
plays out on a carrier network. It's two, three years already that
orange kicked out a handful of MVNO's that sold SIP/RTP services on
orange's UMTS network, so it might actually work decent enough.
Personally, I've tried SIP/RTP on a UMTS network some three years ago,
and with limited testing only, I found pretty heavy latency.
   Roman - in TCP/IP terms Asterisk isn't a server, it connects to
VoIP providers like a SIP client. AFAIK NAT traversal is an issue only
in a few special cases. Using a provider that supports IAX2 should
help, too.

Meanwhile at the ranch... From what I've seen, SipDroid isn't, to put
it mildly, up to snuff. As much as I would like to tackle such a
project, there's no solid case to commit resources to develop a SIP
client, considering how Google keeps coming out with their own apps
and telco solutions.