I agree that the generic categories don't work very well for games.
However, I think the problem is made worse by the lack of good
information from Google to the user/judges.

For example, you said in your blog post that you'd give an
"Indispensability" rating of 1 to any game, and strictly speaking, I
agree with you. But look at the following description of
"Indispensability" for ADC2:

"(4) Indispensability--Is the application compelling and essential,
such as a game the user just can't put down or a utility she can't
live without?"
(from http://code.google.com/android/adc/adc2_terms.html)

If "Indispensability" were renamed to "Compelling and/or Essential",
as Google seems to mean it, suddenly the rating for good games gets a
lot better. But this goes back to your Marketing point - this
information is not getting out there to the user/judges.

String