Nevermind.  I thought I had deleted debug.keystore.  I had not.

I did delete the debug.keystore and it worked.  On the mac, this can
be found at ~/.android/debug.keystore.

Also ... for the record ... I have no idea why this worked or if this
had anything to do with Software Update.  I was simply trying things I
found mentioned here in the forum.