Jeffrey wrote:
> Unfortunately that doesn't really help. I have no idea what I'm
> looking for in the logcat. Likewise I don't what the stacktrace is or
> how to find it in the logcat.

If you are new to Java development, I really recommend learning the
basics of Java outside of Android first, before tackling Android.

A Java stack trace will look something like this:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: fred.txt
        at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java)
        at ExTest.readMyFile(ExTest.java:19)
        at ExTest.main(ExTest.java:7)

(from http://www.devdaily.com/java/edu/pj/pj010009/)

Usually, with Android, there will be two of them back-to-back, with the
second one prefixed by "Caused by:". That one will indicate where things
are going wrong (e.g., NullPointerException).

> I can't find any
> information on how to programmatically create a UI with multiple child
> views inside a single viewgroup.

That is because there is a very good chance that there are better ways
of solving your problem. Until you tell us what it is you are trying to
do at a high level, we cannot readily advise you on better solutions.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_Beginning Android_ from Apress Now Available!