Thanks for the comments, I check with my user in Germany and he
confirmed that he cannot type the comma into a decimal field in
Android. The issue is arising for me because when I copy the text into
the edit field I convert it into a localized String which has the
comma in it. Once this gets into the edit field it makes my current
usage of Double.valueOf fail for the reasons discussed above. I'll
probably just change my code to enforce using the period everywhere
for consistency until this issue gets fixed in a later version of
Android.