Thank you both for your answers! They are both very good and I'll keep
them in my back pocket.

I have decided to abandon API 2 and set minimum to API 3. I don't
believe there is that many 1.1 phones left out there.

Strangely after I did that my downloads went up rapidly. It's probably
unrelated but very interesting...