Hi,
You can see a comparison of the different WebKit implementations here:
http://www.quirksmode.org/webkit.html

On Oct 9, 8:00 pm, Mark Murphy <mmur...@commonsware.com> wrote:
> >> And now I see (I am on a SDK1.6 Emulator) that the LocalStorage, the
> >> WebWorkers and Offline Web Applications are not supported!
>
> LocalStorage might work with the full Browser application with Google
> Gears enabled -- I'm a little fuzzy as to whether Gears offers official
> HTML5 LocalStorage support.

It's a different API with the same features (practically), thus this
abstraction project:
http://code.google.com/p/webstorageportabilitylayer/

which I believe is what GMail for WebKit uses.

> >> Or does anyone
> >> know the exact version (or build) of the webkit engine, that is used in
> >> Android 1.6?
>
> I am under the impression that there is a way to determine this, as
> somebody mentioned a WebKit version in passing at MOTODEV Summit, but I
> don't remember what he said the version was nor how to figure it out.
> Sorry I don't have any more info on that facet of your question.

It's in the open source tree, ./external/webkit/configure.ac - right
now it's 1.0.3. See the top part of:
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/external/webkit.git;a=blob_plain;f=configure.ac;hb=HEAD