Dear Fellow Developers,

I would like to request your comments on : How to add new field(s) in
to android's contacts.db database ?

After going through existing discussion on this topic; I could find
that the deveopers recommend creating a new database for the new
fields and simultaneously provide a custom contacts content provider.
This custom content provider will join SQl queries from the new
databse and contacts.db.The id field being the link between the
contacts database and new databse.Pls see the link.

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/19de2b2ac8640b4c/9e4d1f9723831875?lnk=gst&q=contacts+extension#9e4d1f9723831875

So I have following queries :

1. Is any simpler way out for this problem. Since the thread is quite
old; I was wondering whether google provided any new API , interface
to sort this problem?

2. Can someone explain me the purpose of Contacts.Extensions and
Contacts.People.Extensions. I guess these are for extending contact
fields but not much information is available online.

3. If the above classes serves the purpose of extending the contacts
database (i.e. add field columns) , then Do i need to modify standard
contacts content provider for retrieving my custom field's data?

Many Thanks