Disretrospect wrote:
> Mark Murphy wrote:
>> You cannot get TIME_TICK via a manifest-registered receiver. It has to
>> be a receiver registered via Java code.
>
> Still possible though, register your receiver from your config
> activity or through a service started from onEnabled?

Not from the config activity, since the activity will go away as soon as
the configuration is done.

And keeping a service around to receive a once-per-minute TIMER_TICK is
bad for business. You want to not keep processes around any more than
necessary. On devices with limited RAM, each process chews up space that
is really needed for more important stuff.

Frankly, IMHO, any user who installs a "task killer" app deserves
whatever instabilities they get. Rewriting your app to make Android
perform worse (take up more RAM/CPU), simply to defend against task
killers, is a race to the bottom.

Is there an issue in http://b.android.com about the AlarmManager/task
killer problem? I don't see one, but since I'm not being directly
affected by the problem, I'm not in great position to open an issue.
OTOH, if there is an issue already out there, I'd like to star it.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_Beginning Android_ from Apress Now Available!