Well the auto-scaling definitely worked in 1.5 and stopped working in 1.6.
I'm not sure why they'd remove that feature as it requires a lot of
hacking using
BitmapFactory/Bitmap to get around the fact that you can't load a camera image
into an app and manipulate it directly (it has to be subsampled in order for it
to load at all).

This is really a sort of silly state where you can take a picture but you can't
do anything with it.  And now 1.6 made that even more painful.