On Oct 28, 3:39 am, jotobjects <jotobje...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 27, 12:54 am,MiguelParaz<mpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > And, it also requires that your phone can receive incoming UDP
> > connections.
>
> > Come to think of it, if your phone can accept incoming TCP
> > connections, you can run a web server like Jetty to receive incoming
> > messages.
>
> Hm.  Interesting question.  Is this a showstopper for using SIP push?
> Any experts care to comment?

It's not a problem if you are the operator, or you have a SIP server
inside the operator's network, which can send UDP connection requests
to the Android handset.

HTTP and XMPP have the advantage that the handset initiates the
connection. The server can be outside the operator's network.

> As mentioned in this thread the JAIN library was used in a p2p chat
> application on Android probably with 2 emulators (not sure about that
> point). The JAIN project is standards based and has a strong developer
> group at NIST behind it.  The reference implementation is reportedly
> stable and fast.
>
> https://jain-sip.dev.java.net/
>
> The other SIP implementation that has been used on Android is
> Mjsiphttp://mjsip.org/which is the basis of the sipdorid VOIP
> applicationhttp://sipdroid.org/and also the basis of a blog example from a
> group
> at Ericsson using the 1.5 Anroid API.
>
> https://labs.ericsson.com/apis/mobile-java-communication-framework/bl...
>
> As for infrastructure, all you need is either one of the SIP jars in
> your lib directory.  For PUSH you also need a server and for that you
> ought to be able use Sip Servlets (JSR 189) for which there is the
> Mobicents implementation that runs on JBoss or Tomcat or probably any
> servlet container.
>
> http://www.mobicents.org/products_sip_servlets.html
>
> I'm interested in creating an open source project for an Android
> Service PUSH API based on JAIN SIP since there is quite a bit of
> interest in PUSH and many apps seem to be falling back on HTTP polling
> instead.  Any thoughts experts have about whether this is feasible or
> desirable would be useful?

It's feasible within the UDP connection constraint. I can contribute
to this effort.

It would be better if it fits within the Android IM framework (in the
open source code, but not documented in the SDK), but I haven't gotten
much response from the Android team about it (in the android-platform
group).