To do a true comparison of what the PNG is like after 'optimization'
take it out of the final APK, it is just a zip archive.

The banding artifacts you see are because the device and the emulator
are displaying in 16-bit 565 pixel format, they can't display all the
colors. Have you tried painting the image with Paint.setDither(true)
turned on:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/graphics/Paint.html#setDither%28boolean%29