Another difference that I have noticed with Android 1.6 is that when
it shows the Wi-Fi connectivity icon in the bar at the top of the
screen, it still continues to show the EDGE connection icon next to
it.  With Android 1.5 when the device connects to a Wi-Fi network the
Wi-Fi icon would appear in the top bar and the EDGE connection icon
would go away.

An am concerned about the network connectivity because my application
has to do large downloads, often in the range of 400MB to 800MB, and I
would like to do these downloads over the Wi-Fi network instead of the
phone data network.

Does anyone know why the active network connection on Android 1.6
continues to be the Mobile connection even when it also has Wi-Fi
connectivity?  Is there a way to work around this?