I just had this problem as well.  It looks like the SDK must not come
with any platforms by default, so I did the following to fix this:

- Run the SDK Setup.exe file (found wherever you extracted the Android
SDK to)
- Click on Available Packages on the left side.
- Check the Platforms you need
- Click Install Selected

It probably took 10 mins or so, but eventually they were downloaded
and installed.  Now when I went back to create the avd, everything
worked fine.

Here's the page that helped me figure this out:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/adding-components.html

I hope this helps!