I am designing an application on Android that needs to access hardware
registers from user space. The application is integrated to external/
skia. First, I have to determine the virtual address of my hardware by
doing a device open("/dev/mem", O_RDWR|O_SYNC) followed by a mmap(...)

Linux-2.6.29-dirty
Android Volume Deamon version 2.0

Issue:
The open() operation is failing with a EACCES(13) error: I dont have
permission.

Observation1:
I have noticed config files having the following flags:
CONFIG_DEVMEM
CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM
in Kconfig.debug in kernel/arch/x86 and in other places (generated
files).

Observation2:
I also tried to alter the AndroidManifest.xml for my application
(Camera) to add a permission called "HARDWARE_TEST". The
PackageManager rejected the permission at start-up.

Observation3:
When my application was a standalone executable that I invoked from
the shell, I did not have that problem.

Questions:
1. What are the rules behind permission to open the mem device ?
2. What is the usage of the config flags related to DEVMEM and can
they help me?
3. Where is the master config file that generates all the generated
files?
4. Is there anything I can do via the permission inside the xml
manifests ?

Thanks,

Manu