Check out this discussion, it sounds similar to what you want to
accomplish:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/a6a2161fe6ec064f/1cb8a1ef843b0787

Specifically, check out FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TOP at:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/Intent.html#FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TOP

Hope this helps!
-- PJ