Whenever you say "connect to a WiFi hotspot", the Android device
starts searching WLAN network and lists all the available spots, and
then you can choose one to surf internet afterwards. My question is :
at what level the WiFi is supported? Kernel level (which means
Linux??)? or Android level (framework) ??

I assumed that Android provides the WiFi management things, like
making sure you do have an Android-supported WiFi device to connect
wireless web; and the WiFi device manufacturer does the DRIVER thing
to expose the interfaces that do the real WiFi connection things. Am I
correct??

Johnson.