If you are worried about delay, you could probably use a small data
chunk size and a large buffer size.

(In my examples, I always used zero for the offset, but you could have
a large buffer and process the data in small chunks.  You would
process the chunk at offset=0 first, then process the chunk with
offset = "chunk size", then "chunk size times 2", etc.  Eventually you
have to wrap around back to the beginning of the buffer.  I have no
idea if the API methods handle any of that for you automatically or
not.)

Anyway, that's makes sense in my head, but I don't have that much
experience with high-performant audio processing.  Maybe some experts
can correct me and/or elaborate on what the proper solution is.

-- PJ