Ok I just tried with my one and only activity, still returns null:

  class MyActivity extends Activity {
     private String mId;

     @Override
     public void onCreate(..) {
        mId = Settings.Secure.getString(this, ...);
     }
  }

I just pop it up via a dialog box, tried looking at it in LogCat too
(with phone hooked up), same. I'm stumped!