To my knowledge there are no built in components to do this, but of
course you can always put any view you want on top of the map
activity. The way I do this is that I have my MapActivity layout
defined something like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<FrameLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
        android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="fill_parent">

        <RelativeLayout android:layout_width="fill_parent"
                android:layout_height="fill_parent">

                        <com.google.android.maps.MapView android:id="@+id/map"
                        android:layout_width="wrap_content"
                        android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:enabled="true"
                        android:clickable="true"
                        android:apiKey="apiKey" />

        </RelativeLayout>

        <com.android.MyPackage.MyCustomView
                android:id="@+id/bubble" android:layout_width="wrap_content"
                android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:focusable="true"
                android:focusableInTouchMode="true" android:visibility="gone"
         />

</FrameLayout>

Where MyCustomView is the view that I want to display when a marker is
pressed. Now in may Overlay subclass in the onTap method I do
something like

        public boolean onTap(GeoPoint point, MapView map) {
                Point pxPoint = map.getProjection().toPixels(point, null);
                mListener.onItemClick(pxPoint);
        }

here  mListener is an instance of my MapActivity subclass where in the
onItemClick method I draw my custom view...

public void onItemClicked(Point point) {
    MyCustomView view = (MyCustomView)findViewById(R.id.bubble);
    view.layout(point.x, point.y, view.getWidht(), view.getHeight());
    view.setVisibility(View.VISIBLE);
    view.invalidate();
}

That's the basic idea. You might have to force the layout before
drawing or set some limits to the view width and height, because
getWidth() and getHeight() return 0 before the first layout. But I
think you should get the basic idea how to do this...

-Mika