Hi, I'm using Android 1.6.

I'm wondering if there's a simple way to put text on top of an
ImageView element.
Specifically, I'd like to have text overlayed on top of a rectangle
filled with a color gradient.

I have the following in my XML layout:

<ImageView android:id="@+id/top_bar" android:src="@drawable/header"
android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:text="foo bar" />

but the text specified in android:text doesn't show up in my view.

Any thoughts on how to overlay text on top of an image?

There might be a simpler way to do this, so I'm open to alternative
suggestions but I haven't been able to find anything via the google.

Thanks!!