I know that isn't exactly right - I can start the map application
using an intent like this :

final Intent myIntent = new Intent(android.content.Intent.ACTION_VIEW,
Uri.parse("geo:0,0?q=http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/
KML_Samples.kml"));
startActivity(myIntent);

And it loads that KML into the app and shows it...