We might be able to come up with more creative solutions if you give
us more information about where the 8000x8000 jpeg file is coming
from, and whether you just want to display it in a WxH view or to do
something else with it.

Also, since you expressed interest in Google's server-side solution
for Google Maps, are you considering developing a server-side
component to your app as well?  If so, you could host this capability
(convert 8000x8000 image to smaller image) on a server somewhere.

If you try to do all processing on the device itself, it's probably
going to be very slow.

What does your app do?  Now you've got me all curious.  :D

-- PJ