When it says it will only install on devices with Maps, it means the
Google Maps API, not the Google Maps application. I believe that's why
it will still install on the emulator, but because Google isn't
providing the Google Maps app with the Android 2.0 emulator, your
attempt to reach Google Maps app through an intent won't work.
However, you could follow these instructions for the emulator and be
back in business:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/3ae65872a457fdd1/8d021a36a0d2089e

Only do this with Maps.apk instead of Streets.apk.

- dave