Thanks Dianne so much for your reply.

So let's say in my example I am working with SurfaceView for my
CameraSurfaceView.  I have a few questions, hope you can help me.

1.  When this SurfaceView gets created (I assume via
final CameraSurfaceView cameraView = new CameraSurfaceView
(getApplicationContext()), this will result in a call createSurface()
in SurfaceFlinger with format, width and height.

How does the application pass these information like format, width and
height to SurfaceFlinger for the allocation?  Is it by
using .setFormat, .setFixedSize?

2.  How do they methods .setFormat, .setFixedSize related to the
surfaceHolder.surfaceChanged() callback?