How can I keep Toast from building up a queue of messages?

I'm working on a board game and I'm sending status messages back to
the user with this wrapper function I created for Toast:

        private void toast( String s )
        {
                if( t != null )
                        t.cancel();

                t = Toast.makeText( getApplicationContext(), s,
Toast.LENGTH_SHORT );

                t.show();
        }

The problem is I've made the flow of game play so simple I can now
play it so fast Toast messages queue up, even to the point where they
continue to show on the desktop after I quit out of the game.

t.cancel() doesn't seem to cancel out the previous message, anyone
know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

--
Greg Donald