It appears it's because there is some caching going on where my
authenticator service is getting launched, the bind fails to return an
authenticator IBinder, and then binding is not tried again for future
runs of the application.  Even if I install a new authenticator, the
OS never bothers to try it again unless I restart the OS.

Should I file a bug on this, since re-installing the authenticator
should cause the service's onBind to call again, instead of using the
cached one?