Hi Hong, of course Google has complied, it had no choice if it wanted
to stay in the Chinese market but that is what makes this even more
puzzling ... as far as I can tell Google is complying, and there does
not seem to be a good reason for blocking sync services to gmail or
market on android etc  ... so why is it being blocked? For the same
reasons Google has complied with search filtering (the size of the
China market), I'm sure its also happy to comply with whatever else it
takes to get sync working over here.

I get the feeling I'm swimming against the tide with all the defensive
comments. I am not attacking Google or anyone for that matter. I posed
a simple question ... whats going on? ... yes its being blocked ...
but why? and by understand why, those of us our here who are either
unable to use the service or wondering about its long term
availability can can make informed decisions rather than guessing or
hoping.

Am I really the only one who would appreciate an official explanation?

Again, thanks to all for contributing