Ok I think I figured it out. In certain cases when the widget is
clicked i updated the RemoteViews to hide some on screen controls/
views using setViewVisibility on the remoteview, however I did not re-
set the setImageURI. When the screen rotated the Image dissappeared.
However this is odd because I would expect the image to dissappear on
updating the RemoteView without the ImageURI even without rotating the
screen. But it would only dissappear after rotating. When I did not go
through the routine that hid the controls/ did not set the
setViewVisibility, the image did not dissappear on rotation.

I am curious as to what happens to the RemoteView on orientation
change and why sometimes it seems to retain the ImageURI and others it
loses it.

In any case I have my workaround.

- Ryan