I can think of some legitimate reasons. What if the user is a parent,
for example, and wants to let a very little kid use the phone. They
might like to be able to setup an application white list.

Without a parental code entered the phone would only run a pre-
approved set of apps that the parent has checked out to make sure the
kid can't get in trouble with.

I think the Xbox has a similar system where a parental code can limit
the rating level of games and limit online content and contacts.