>From this perspective, protected is EXACTLY the same as public.  Third party
apps can directly whack the value of the variable, at any time, without the
framework having any opportunity to do anything about it.

If there is a feature you need that isn't available in the public APIs, then
file a feature request.  There will be no direct access to member variables
for apps to hack around the current implementation of the framework. (And
directly modifying mButtonResource is a perfect example of why it would be a
huge problem to allow this -- what if other member variables in the future
need to be set to match this?  If you directly modify this, you could
completely break on a future version of the platform where the framework
doesn't have an opportunity to update its internal state appropriately.)