On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:12 AM, pcm2a <reeeye...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another fine example is with the higher screen resolutions.  If you
> made the mistake of using of a font size of say "12pt" in 1.5, thats
> going to look like crap on a Droid with a higher resolution.  I had to
> change a lot of stuff like that to support across the board screen
> resolutions.

That is a bug in Droid's graphics driver that reports an incorrect dpi; it
will be fixed in an upcoming update.  Though we have said forever that you
should use dip and sp for units. :}  Very sorry about that, though; it was a
bad mistake, we actually had identified the problem during testing but for
various reasons the fix did not get into the graphics driver.

> Your best bet right now is to write your application using SDK level 3
> (Android 1.5) and then test it in an AVD emulator for 1.5, 1.6, and
> 2.0.  The reason you want to still be supporting 1.5 is because ALL of
> the HTC Hero line of phones are still running 1.5.  This includes the
> Hero, the Eris, the European Hero, etc.  There are also versions of
> phones in other countries where the carrier did not push out 1.6 to
> it's customers.

Please note that you can do this by building against the 2.0 SDK, and
testing against older versions, so you can fairly easily use newer features
of the platform when they are available.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.