I had been waiting to make the switch from the iphone to android until
both some nice hardware was released and it had been out for a while
for the initial usability issues to be resolved. The Droid is what
made me take the plunge but I am *constantly* frustrated by what seems
to be surprisingly sub-par performance for the most basic UI
interaction.

I started looking into the SDK and worked on a few apps in order to
resolve some issues i was having, but even the most basic example apps
in the sdk aren't nearly as fast as I would expect them to be on a
new, relatively high-end device.

For example, something as simple as the sample 'home' app that comes
with the sdk can't even open the 'all programs' list smoothly. This
may seem trivial, but it is very telling if a basic application
written by programmers experienced in the SDK performs poorly on a
virgin device.

There are a slew of problems that bother me and i am reaching out for
any expert insight as to whether or not they are Droid specific, or
general to android 2.0 that may be addressed with future updates. My
primary frustrations:

Delay between swiping gestures/clicks and visual response.
Scrolling is choppy in almost all cases, from lists, to home, to browser pages.
Scrolls are frequently registered as clicks.
Occasionally clicks register as powerful downward scrolls, so a click
on a large list will throw me near the bottom of the list as if the
Droid is consciously mocking me.

I could go on for pages, but as I write them all down I think the bulk
of my issues stem from the general feeling of sluggishness on the
Droid. Usability can be enhanced by other applications and by
workarounds, but poor performance at an OS or device level doesn't
seem easily fixable.

I can't imagine it is inherent to the Droid because the specs seem
perfectly decent for a hand held device. Could it be the screen
resolution be requiring more processing power than the Droid can
provide? Does the road forward look promising?

"Works fine for me" is not a useful response, so please use restraint
when hovering over the 'Send' button. This is not device-specific, the
same problems occur on the 5 other droids i've compared against in my
company. Some people are OK with it, which is fine by me, but arguing
that opinion is not helpful.

--
Jarrod