Thanks Mark
Ok so for the first issue (stopping service) I will try your suggestion.
For second question, when my activity starts there is an involved process of
initializing bunch of items which requires few seconds. Hence I wanted to
initialize these via a service on BOOT_COMPLETE (working for me already) or
on the package installation (which I am trying to figure out). This way when
the activity is started by the user there wont be any wait.

~Nick