I have a simple Activity with a LinearLayout with an EditText and a
ListView in it.  When the application launches, the EditText box is
higlighted and it receives the onFocusChanged(true,..) event.
However, when I tap in the EditText and the virtual keyboard comes up,
the EditText does not 'eat' any key typed - the key goes to the "Quick
Search Box" and brings that Activity forward.  The EditText does *not*
get an onFocusChanged(false,...) This only started happening after SDK
1.5.  So, 1.6, 2.0, etc. exhibit this behavior.  Previous versions did
not - the key showed up in the edittext and all is fine.

If you launch the app with the hardware keyboard exposed, the keys
typed go into the EditText like they should.
With the hardware keyboard closed, launch the app, then If you press
DPad down, to give focus to the ListView, then DPad Up to give focus
back to the EditText, touch the EditText, then the subsequent keys
typed go to the EditText like they should.

So, the only problem is when the app is launched and the first thing
you do is touch in the EditText, then press a virtual keyboard
letter.  The letter goes to the Google Quick Search Box.

Any ideas?

I've tried overriding onTouchEvent and calling requestFocus()