I agree the existence of the driver should be mentioned at least in
the JDBC package docs. Would you mind creating a ticket for this?

JDBC is somewhat of a second-class citizen in the Android world, since
Android has its own database API (that is actually not too far away
from JDBC, but has much better integration with the UI framework). I
guess this is why the docs don't encourage you to use JDBC. Still,
JDBC is usable, and - as you already noticed - it is possible to
install additional drivers.

Regarding android.jar, I never checked but I could imagine that it
contains only the public API classes and might even have the actual
bytecode erased. Nothing is ever run against it. It is just there to
make Javac or Eclipse happy (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).
On the device, the driver should be part of /system/framework/
core.jar.

Cheers,
Joerg