Yes, one of the things we do too is clean before build. Early on we had
crazy problems if we didn't. javac is so fast (compared to dx) that it
really doesn't matter.

It is not enough to just pull in custom targets though (for us, anyway), as
execution of those targets must occur at "good" times in the
android_rules.xml  target dependency chain.