Hi,

  I am downloading web pages off of the internet and some of those sites
want to format their content for the actual user agent used.

  I want to use the user agent that is later on used to display the stuff I
donwnload.

  I can ask WebView.getWebSettings().getUserAgentString() to get the user
agent, but this doesn't work all that well for my app as I need to
instantiate a WebView first even though I don't need. Furthermore to do that
I need to have a UI context, which I don't as this part of the app doesn't
have a UI.

  Is there another way to get to the User Agent?

  I found in WebSettings:

    // User agent strings.
    private static final String DESKTOP_USERAGENT =
            "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en)"
            + " AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2"
            + " Safari/525.20.1";
    private static final String IPHONE_USERAGENT =
            "Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone 2_1 like Mac OS X; en)"
            + " AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2"
            + " Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20.1";

  But of course, this is private. Any other idea?

Cheers,
Mariano