I wouldn't rely on those Market update notifications. Personally, I never
get them when they should kick in. Instead I usually check My Downloads
manually and, AFTER I've checked, the notification will kick in. And, not
only is it ridiculously late, it usually tells me the wrong number of
updates are available (usually twice as many as there actually are).

If you need your users to know when new updates are available, best bet is
to add this as a feature in your app.

TreKing - Chicago transit tracking app for Android-powered devices
http://sites.google.com/site/rezmobileapps/treking