It sounds like we are working on a similar application. I have placed
the same question not too long ago and have received no definite
answer so I ended up experimenting with all currently available
choices; JetPlayer, SoundPool and the AudioTracker, in this order. I
have rejected the JetPlayer almost immediately. It is much too high
level. The SoundPools looked very promising since it does allow you to
play concurrent sounds but I also found it too limiting. I settled
down with the AudioTrack but, not surprisingly, it has its own limits.
It's interface does not support the pitch/rate control but it does
allow you to stream raw date which can be synthesized during the run
time. The point I am trying to make is that you will have to
experiment with all the options and see what works for you. What you
need to do is to design your application in such a way  (strategy
pattern or such) so you can replace one implementation of the sound
control layer with the other, as you experiment with the different
options. Let me know how you are doing. Good Luck.

Roman