Using the (magnetic) compass would require less coding, I suppose. However,
is it available on all your target devices and is it accurate enough?

I should defer to someone who's actually used the compass sensor. In the
meantime, you could put together a test app in just a few minutes. You could
base it on the following accelerometer test code:
http://stuffthathappens.com/blog/2009/03/15/android-accelerometer/