Hi,

As an heads-up, I'm an amateur developer and a university student in
the area but I have not knowledge at all about Android development. I
haven't yet had the time to start looking at the SDK and
documentation. However, I have an idea for an app that I would like to
try and develop for Android phones but I need to do something that I
don't think it's quite possible.

I own an HTC Hero and the phone can only be awaken by pressing the
menu button or the power off button. Dunno if it's like this for every
Android phone. I'm looking for a way to awake the phone by touching
the screen.

My idea is to replace the KeyGuard with something else but instead of
awaking the phone by pressing one of those buttons, I would like to do
it by touching the screen.

Is this even possible or the Androd framework doesn't provide this
functionality at all?