I tried it but it didn't change a thing. The images are pretty small
(just a few kilobyte as they are application icons) anyway. But I
figured something new out: If I continue to load them, I finally get
an OutOfMemoryException as mentioned in some sources and threads I
already read, including yours. Thing is, I have no clue how to find my
mistake(s) in the code and fix them. So here's some of my code:

First the function to get the images:

private Bitmap getIconFormServer(String url) {
        Bitmap bm = null;
        HttpClient httpClient = new DefaultHttpClient();
        HttpGet getMethod = new HttpGet(url);
        HttpResponse response;
        getMethod.setHeader("Accept", "application/json");
        getMethod.setHeader("Content-type", "application/json");
        getMethod.setHeader("Accept-Encoding", "gzip");
        try {
                response = httpClient.execute(getMethod);
                InputStream inputStream = response.getEntity().getContent();
                Header contentEncoding = response.getFirstHeader("Content-
Encoding");
                if (contentEncoding != null && contentEncoding.getValue
().equalsIgnoreCase("gzip")) {
                        inputStream = new GZIPInputStream(inputStream);
                }
                bm = new BitmapDrawable(inputStream).getBitmap();
        } catch (Exception e) {
                return null;
        } finally {
                getMethod.abort();
                inputStream.close();
        }
        return bm;
}

This one is called inside the service that's supposed to update the
widget. So I'm getting my pictures and update the widget out of the
service with

context = getApplicationContext();
thisWidget = new ComponentName(context, XWidget.class);
widgetManager = AppWidgetManager.getInstance(context);
widgetView = new RemoteViews(context.getPackageName(),
R.layout.widget);

and then later:

widgetView.setImageViewBitmap(id.getButton(), bitmap);
widgetManager.updateAppWidget(thisWidget, widgetView);

Cheers

Moritz