Hi dm1973,

Actually these tests are not useless.  Of course good modern compilers
should optimize away the code above.  The reality is that the Android
compiler is not a good compiler so it does not optimize the above
code.  This allows the simple example above to show the performance
limitations of the Dalvik compiler.

The point of my sample code above is to quickly show the Dalvik vs C
performance without showing all the extraneous supporting code for
running the test.  It's easy enough to subtly change the example
posted above so it doesn't get optimized away though even by a good
compiler.  I.e. simply return the value from the method above and post
it to a text field in Android or log it in in C.  I actually ran the
tests that way (where the processing is not optimized away) to get the
results that I posted above.