Hi all,

Is there a way to find out what is on the screen at any given point in
time?  In a broadcast receiver, I would like to determine if a
specific activity is onscreen.  Is it possible?

In that activity I have a button that is assigned two different
functions and is labeled with text to match that function, based on
current state...  Because of some code in the receiver (a preference
change) the button action in that activity would change and would not
do what it says.  The receiver displays a notification, but I would
like to do a little bit more to help my user in this context.

If the receiver executes when one of my Activities is running I want
to show a toast to alert the user in addition to displaying the
standard notification on the top left. Maybe I could update the
Activity screen with the notification to reflect the proper state.
Can I do any of that?  Is there a way for my receiver to determine if
a specific Activity within my application is running?

I don't think it is possible to get that information, but I wanted to
ask you all.  This is a corner case and my users really should notice
the notification.  If not, the Activity has clear visual feedback to
the button press that shows the user what the button did (since it did
not do what was expected).  The ActivityManager and WindowManager do
not seem to offer this level of detail.  Please share any insights you
might have.

Thanks and regards,
Beth