On 01/08/2010 07:15 PM, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> this seems to be a very basic need, but googling it I got the impression
> that is not easily or elegantly solvable.
>
> The requirement is totally simple: I want to have a lite and pro version
> of an app. There is a little bit of difference between those two apps,
> but they are 99% identically.
> Unfortunately it seems that the best choice is to really treat this as
> two projects that are one and the same and copy over the source code and
> assets from one to the other. The Android Manifest file must be
> different, because the Android Market - for some reason - makes the
> implementation's package name the ID.
>
> Working around this ID issue the straight forward approach would be to
> have a third project with the common code that exports its code,
> libraries and in a best case scenario also the ressources to the other
> two objects. Unfortunately this doesn't work. Only the actual Android
> projects generate the R.class and so the common project would need to be
> dependent on it, which would make it a cycle ;(
>
> Am I thinking too complicated? Do I miss the obvious?

The first thing that comes to my mind is to use svn, develop the pro version in
the trunk, and create a branch for your lite version. Then merge the trunk
changes from time to time into the lite branch.

If you want to simplify merging, then you could also create this third project
you're talking about, but without trying to export any resources (or code that
references them) from it, only generic application model/logic/utilities, etc..

--
  Olivier