This is from an old thread, but I think a lot of people still have
this problem, so new thread.

On Nov 19, 11:59 pm, Dianne Hackborn (at Google) wrote:

> We don't recommend using the built-in icons.  This has already been
> discussed fairly in-depth here, but the basic answer is: unless there is a
> standard icon to cover every one of your menus (unlikely, unless we have a
> huge number of icons in the platform, which we do not want), then you end up
> with the worse situation of the icons in your app being inconsistent because
> they are a mix of your own and the built-in ones.

Google doesn't recommend using the built-in icons. There are
essentially four choices
that a developer may make, when dealing with operations covered by
those icons:

1. Create entirely new icons, that may (or may not) be similar to the
built-in
   icons, thus confusing the user. Can be costly.

2. Include copies of the built-in icons, licensed under the Apache 2.0
license. That license
   requires that you distribute a full copy of the license with the
icons, and many
   developers will not want to do this, or will be prevented from
doing this by their employer.

3. Include stolen copies of the built-in icons.

4. Use the built-in icons, running the risk that a phone provider will
change the aesthetic
   of the icons, clashing with the icons that were custom-made for the
application.

By choosing that license, Google has made none of the options
attractive. And they've
made the most attractive option #4, the one they "don't recommend
using."

Law of unintended consequences!

P. V. Nasby