Hey,

That's an interesting article - I can definitely see the menu button
changing standard user behaviors and the interactions they come to
expect. I'd definitely agree that the context menu is a strong point
of the platform. It took me a few weeks to get comfortable with the
back button, so I can empathize with the article quite a bit.

I think it's still hard to draw a line between onscreen and contextual
actions, though. I feel like a user should be able to get basic
functionality from an app without using contextual menus and I think
the most important actions should be immediately obvious. Every action
in a contextual menu also requires two interactions instead of one, so
it makes sense to put more common actions on the screen -- just for
speed-of-use.

I think the contextual menus are a great way to pack more
functionality into an app, especially when some features are extra and
often unnecessary. Sometimes on the iPhone, you can't add features for
lack of button space  -- and the menu overcomes that problem
beautifully. But is it really intended to contain all the actions of
the activity? I feel like there should still be a standard for on-
screen buttons...

- Ben